[mythtv-users] PCI-E Analog Card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 23 00:18:02 UTC 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010 05:03:00 pm Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 1/22/2010 5:52 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > An older SCSI-based server might work for you, they can be had relatively
> > cheaply these days (at least compared to their original cost). SCSI
> > drives are also available cheaply, but large capacity SCSI drives are
> > expensive. You might look into SAS as well.
> >
> > Don't try to cheap out, a system like you want will have to perform very
> > well, and you generally have to pay for that. Disk I/O will be more
> > important than CPU power, and that's usually found in server machines.
>
> Amen -- and when RAID is mentioned in the same discussion as performance,
>  consider HARDWARE based RAID vs RAID done in the operating system's
>  software.

Agreed. I'm glad you put it the way you did, because *all* RAID is "software",
it's just a question of where that software is running :-)

I've bought several older servers, some of them came with high-end RAID cards,
even though the sales material failed to mention them, no complaint from me of
course.