[mythtv-users] missed an episode trying to watch on Firefox

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Fri Jan 22 22:02:58 UTC 2010

Scott Bickford wrote:
> I have Mythdora 10.21.
>
> I missed the last episode of Heroes and wanted to watch it from
> nbc.com <http://nbc.com>.
>
> When I do from xterm:
>
> firefox http://www.nbc.com/heroes/video/episodes/#vid=1194203
>
> The NBC logo looks like it's loading, but then stops changing colors.
> I checked FF has Flash Player version 10.
>
> I can run the video on my Win XP Firefox notebrick ok, but doesn't
> seem to work on MythDora. It seems that I get redircted to an ad that
> plays in the Flash Player, then the actual video starts.  Any clues
> what might be wrong?

This is what TNT had to say when I had a similar issue on their site.

<quote>
Typically, when all you can see are the commercials then there is a
licensing issue. You will need to have Windows Media Player installed
for the video to show. This isn't due to codecs or file format, but more
specifically due the DRM licensing setup that we have with Windows Media
Player and the studios.

I don't think Windows has a Linux supported version of Windows Media
Player so you may be stuck in the same boat as our Mac users when it
comes to accessing our licensed footage. There may be some sort of work
around for Linux users but I don't have enough familiarity in that area
to really help out.

</quote>