[mythtv-users] Alerts

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Thu Jan 21 23:01:42 UTC 2010

I was thinking about alerts to my MythFrontend, and was looking to see
if there had been any change. MythTVOSD hasn't changed much in a while,
and will only work when the frontend is actively engaged and is harder
to control from the backend as opposed to the frontend.

I saw some discussions of a new alert system that would include a
notification area on the menus and a better methodology. But I haven't
heard anything about this in a while.

Being able to trigger a visual or possibly even an audio alert of some
event from the backend to any running frontend, regardless of what it is
currently doing would create a variety of options, especially if an
option to scale the video to add a bottom ticker either for the duration
of the alert or all the time.

For the all the time option, I just think of my father. He watches a
business channel for the stock ticker. I'd love to offer him a stock
ticker in the middle of programming he actually wants to watch.

For sporadically, I want to now when things happen, ie transcoding
completion, long download...anything I can trigger with a script.