[mythtv-users] Channel changing question with HD-PVR

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Thu Jan 21 17:40:17 UTC 2010

Thanks Michael and Alan,

That's perfect!  I'm going to try to learn enough bash scripting to add one
more feature to your script:  If it's been more than xxx minutes since the
last channel change, force a channel change even if the channel is allegedly
the same.  Put some of the paranoia back in.  :-)

On a semi-related note, yesterday we had a brief power outage.  When the
power came back on, my mythbox rebooted and started working normally, but
all my new recordings were zero length.  It took me much longer than it
should have to realize that my Motorola cable box had not turned back on
when power was restored.  So I'm going to look into modifying mythchanger
to:
- check if cable box is on or off and power on if it's off, and
- check the current channel and only change the channel if it's different

No one should hold their breath for me to make these changes, though...I'm a
decent VB6 programmer but my c skills are pretty dismal.  And I'm only
assuming the cablebox supports those functions over firewire - it might not.

But your script will provide immediate relief!

Thanks,
Fred