[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:02:34 UTC 2010

Sorry for breaking the threading; I have mail delivery disabled for this
list so I can't reply directly.

I recently was forced through the Comcast digital strainer and have a
similar setup to you (PVR-500). However, I chose the option to get one free
STB (Motorola something; uses DCT700 codes) along with a DTA. The advantage
of the STB is that it has composite output as well as RF, so I was able to
use the composite input on my PVR-500 for the STB and the RF input for the
DTA. The STB also has more channels available (like the music channels). So,
if anyone is going through this, you might ask them if you could get a STB
free.

FWIW, I spilled more blood, sweat and tears on this digital cable transition
(getting these two devices working with channel changing scripts,
particularly) than I ever did when I first built and set up the system 4
years ago. I bought a CommandIR to do the IR blasting to change channels,
and had both hardware (bad IR emitter, screwy USB port, bad USB hub) and
software problems (lirc remote configs, challenges integrating existing lirc
receiver, weird lircd zombie processes--still unresolved). The CommandIR
support is really great, though. If anyone is interested, I can post my
configuration details (lirc config, scripts, etc.) to save you some pain.