[mythtv-users] Firewire channel change for SA4200?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Wed Jan 20 21:01:51 UTC 2010

>> I am hoping to set up firewire channel change for a Scientific Atlanta
4200
>> box.  I checked the mythtv docs ./contrib/channel_changers as suggested
on
>> the wiki.  It doesn’t have a changer for the sa4200 but it has one for
the
>> sa3250.
>>
>> Does anyone know is this changer will work for sa4200?  If so, would I
use
>> similar compile arguments as given in the wiki for the Motorola box, i.e.
>>
>> cc -std=gnu99 -o sa3250ch sa3250ch.c -lavc1394 -lrom1394 -lraw1394
>>
>> If not, does anyone know if there is a channel changer available for the
>> sa4200?
>
>I know nada about the SA boxes, but really, it ought to be possible
>for us to have a single firewire channel-change program that covers
>all set top boxes. They're all using libavc1394 for communications
>(A/V Commands over 1394), which is pretty well defined for all the
>basics we need. MythTV changes channels on most (all?) firewire set
>top boxes internally for firewire recording devices, anyway... (not
>that I have time or desire to do anything about this myself right now,
>I'm just sayin').

That would be most helpful for all of us non-wizards.

Meanwhile, I have found evidence in the 0.20 release notes and here
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/209687 that someone
modified the sa3250 changer code to work with the sa4200 too.

Now if I only knew about the compile arguments.  I suppose the README for
that changer would answer all these questions, but it's empty.