[mythtv-users] Running XBMC on an Xbox as a MythTV frontend

Vitani vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com
Wed Jan 20 20:06:35 UTC 2010

2010/1/19 Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com>

> On 19/01/2010 3:50 AM, Vitani wrote:
>
>> Luckily(?) I don't record anything in HD so SD is fine for my current
>> situation. If you can, would you mind finding out which version of XBMC
>> and MythTV you are running Robert as I tried the myth:// protocol last
>> night and while it showed up all of my channels, when I tried to "play"
>> one it errored (something about too many consecutive failures, or
>> something, can't remember off the top-of-my-head). I'm pretty sure I
>> need to update my version of XBMC, but I am running MythTV 0.22-fixes
>>
>> Glad to see someone has gotten it to work though! There is hope :o)
>>

> I've been running several versions. The one thing you may need to do,
> however, is check your DNS settings. XBMC on the XBox tries to resolve the
> host name to access the backend, and if it can't resolve it, it fails (in
> the way that you're seeing now).
>
> Alternatively, you can add a "hosts" entry in your advancedsettings.xml
> like so:
>
> <advancedsettings>
>  <hosts>
>    <entry name="HOSTNAME">IPADDRESS</entry>
>  </hosts>
> </advancedsettings>
>
> This will over-ride the DNS resolver.
>
> The advancedsettings.xml file does not exist by default, so you will need
> to create it in your userdata folder.
>
> More info about it is here:
> http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=AdvancedSettings.xml

I created advancedsettings.xml, added an entry (phoenix -> 192.168.0.10),
and then tried using the myth:// protocol (myth://
mythtv:password at 192.168.0.10 <mythtv%3Apassword at 192.168.0.10>). While it
does add a source to my Video list, I can't get the options therein to work:

All recordings - does nothing*
Guide - shows a list of all channels, and each channel shows me today's
guide information for said channel
Live Channels - navigates to an empty list
Movies - does nothing*
TV Shows - does nothing*

* I can hear the Xbox make a noise (perhaps the HDD working?), but XBMC
remains on the same screen.

I've checked that the mythtv database password is correct (using "mysql -u
mythtv -p" on my server), and as it's pulling out the guide data, I assume
that part must be working.

Any thoughts on why none of the video functions are ... er ... functioning?
:o)