[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jan 20 00:26:52 UTC 2010

The short answer:
Use a channel 4 signal combiner.

The long answer:

As part of Comcast's analog shutdown/ClearQAM Encryption process I'm getting a
couple of their DTAs hooked into my MythTV setup. Comcast gave me Motorola
DTA100s but this would apply to the seemingly more common Pace DC50X DTAs as
well.

These DTAs offer *only* a single RF/Coaxial output with a channel 3/4
selector. The problem is that my ancient PVR-500, while having two internal
tuners, has only a *single* physical RF/Coaxial input.

If I try joining the DTAs using a passive cable splitter, channels 3 and 4
bleed over onto each other and cause interference.

The answer is to use a channel 4 signal combiner. This box is intended to
allow the use of an OTA antenna along with an STB. It has two inputs and one
output. One input 'notches' or removes channel 4 while allowing everything
else to pass. The other input allows channel 4 to pass while filtering out
everything else.

I ended up finding a JVI 40-SC4 for about $12 on Ebay. If you Google "ch-4
signal combiner" you can find a few other manufacturers. I even found a
channel 3 combiner which should work just as well. I saw some amplified units
but that would be unnecessary since the RF signal is being generated by the DTAs.

Here's my final "DTA Pod":
http://imgur.com/zXmzW

The IR emitters are taped the DTAs with black electrical tape to keep them
from interfering with each other. I haven't attached it yet to my PVR-500 but
the two signals have been rock solid on the TV I've tested it on. I'm certain
it will work once I get it attached to my PVR-500.

If there's a more elegant solution, please share.

Kirk Bocek