[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Jan 19 15:41:58 UTC 2010

2010/1/19 Jon Whitear <jon at whitear.org>:

>>> Finally got a chance to try this yesterday. Not good news, I'm afraid. Ctl+F1 does nothing in my BIOS, >and there are no VT-d settings in the BIOS otherwise.
>>
>>Are you sure about that? I didn't get any confirmation saying that
>>more settings had been activated or similar, but after clicking
>>Ctrl+F1, more settings were indeed available in the menues, including
>>VT-D. My server is headless, so I can't check the BIOS for the
>>specific location, but it was pretty easy to find after Ctrl+F1 had
>>been clicked.
>
> Tried it again, but no dice. In fact, I ran through all the settings pages, then returned to the main menu and hit Ctl+F1, and then ran through the settings pages again to see what had changed. I could find no difference, i.e. no advanced settings. My board is a GA-P55-UD4P, with BIOS revision F3. As you've pointed out, the manual says there _should_ be advanced options. Might try updating to a newer version (F6) and having another go. I'd love to get VT-d working! Unfortuantely my serer is also headless, so it's a bit of a pain to hook up monitor and keyboard.

That's an even newer board...and so much newer than my "old" Gigabyte
Core 2 board which supports VT-D. I would be highly surprised if your
board didn't support it, like Greg wrote, it could be that the VT-D
support was enabled together with regular VT support. I just found the
following forum post with google:
"I received an answer from Gigabyte technical support: VT-d is indeed
supported by the GA-P55A-UD4P. It is enabled along with VT-x under the
common "Virtualization" BIOS setting."
Source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/268442-12-p55a-ud4p-experience-needed#t1866399

This is the P55A-model, but still... :)

Best Regards