[mythtv-users] Using the HVR-950Q

Kichigai Mentat kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 05:07:46 UTC 2010

Hey all. I've decided to build yet another hobo-DVR (that is, a MythBox out
of old, outdated components I had lying around because I don't have cash for
anything new), and I'm trying to use Mythbuntu to drive a WinTV HVR-950Q to
record a few shows for later viewing on my Mac.

I've come across this page:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950Q
What I have to do, apparently, is overwrite the firmware on my HVR. What I
want to know is if this will interfere with the usage of the tuner on my Mac
with EyeTV (or any other application for that matter)? Or am I
misunderstanding how the firmware works?