[mythtv-users] scheduling problem: want first showing not later one

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 03:14:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> If in fact "Reschedule Higher Priorities" is disabled, that means that
> you had a conflict at the earlier time and the sports event lost.
> Therefore, had it not aired again, the sports event would not even have
> been recorded.  In other words, the existence of a second showing had
> absolutely nothing to do with Myth's not recording the first if
> "Reschedule Higher Priorities."  Myth just couldn't record the things
> you said you wanted and the sports event.
>
> You can see this by going into Manage Recordings|Previously Recorded,
> then finding the showing and looking at the status to see it didn't
> record because of conflict.
>
> So, the solution is to "get your priorities straight."  :)

There was certainly no conflict.  I did look in the Previously Recorded
list before I started the thread... It only said that there was a later
showing.  In any case I think I understand the issue now and it is a
little more sinister.. :)

The rule's priority is 12 and that is sufficiently high that no other show
will lose... but this particular event was shown a number of times on
different channels.  The channel that played the event later happened
to have a higher channel priority so it won the race.

This also happens when the first showing is in SD and it is later repeated
in HD.  Since HD boosts the total priority it would be picked instead of the
first.

It looks like checking program.first > 0 will ensure that I get one of the first
recordings.  So I am going to try that.  I am also considering restoring all
the channel priorities to 0.    I think that was added to ensure I recorded from
the HD channels since the listing data wasn't completely accurate at the time.

So the moral of the story is be careful changing channel priorities since Myth
will do exactly what it is told to do... not necessarily what you want.