[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Mac OS X Monitor Aspect Ratio

Dave LeBer dleber at codeferous.com
Tue Jan 19 02:21:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Dave,
> >> My mini (GMA950 video) detects my 16:9 flat panel as 1360x768 when
> >> connected via DVI to HDMI.  I lose 3 pixels in the horizontal on each
> >> side.  Do you have that resolution available?  SD content plays back
> >> 4:3 with black bars...
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > Thanks Steve,
> > I can force that resolution using SwitchResX but still no difference. 4:3
> > content is still stretched.
> > Can I compare my configuration with yours?
> > I'm running:
> > Mac OS X 10.5.8
> > Mythfrontend-release-0-22-fixes-20100117_Rev.23167 (from
> thesniderpad.com)
> > I've tried Snow Leopard on the Mini (since that is what is running on the
> > MBP) and I was originally running a build of Mythfrontend 0.22-fixes from
> > November.
> > ;david

> I'm also on 10.5.8, but rev 22957, although I doubt that makes much
> difference.  It sounds to me like your TV might be choosing to stretch
> the content on its own.  My set has an "auto-stretch" setting that I
> turn off.

Hey Steve,

I thought of that, so I tried connecting the Mac Mini to my Cinema Display,
unfortunately I get the same behaviour. I'll probably try hooking my MBP to
the tv later this evening, but I'm not really expecting any revelations.

If I compensate for the horizontal stretch by forcing a v-stretch zoom, then
the recorded content is watchable. As long as nothing important happens in
the top or bottom part of the frame that is :-)

Very, very, odd... and frustrating.

;david