[mythtv-users] Does a 120Hz LCD TV need VDPAU?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 19 01:39:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
>> Maybe a better, more general question is "Do 120Hz TVs with 'smoothing'
>> technology benefit from VDPAU deinterlace functionality?"
>
> Well, your computer will output a progressive signal by default
> (1080p), I highly doubt that your TV will be able to detect if you
> play some interlaced movie inside of your progressive signal.

The advantage of 120Hz displays has nothing to do with deinterlacing.
The "smoothing" feature mentioned is really all about the ability to
correctly play back movies shot at 24fps.  These can be shown with 5
refreshes per frame, where on a 60Hz set you would need to show 2
refreshes on some frames and 3 on others, leading to a jerkier
playback.

Here's an article which discusses it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html

You may also want to read up on Telecine on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

Eric