[mythtv-users] Is anyone transcoding BBC HD using Mencoder?

Gerben Roest g.roest at grepit.nl
Mon Jan 18 22:38:31 UTC 2010

Another Sillyname wrote:
> Until recently transcoding BBC HD transmissions to a more managable
> size was fairly straightforward, however just before Christmas the BBC
> have changed their transmission standard and my scripts that worked
> before Christmas now fail.
>
> Specifically what's happening is that the video stream is running at
> 50% of the speed of the audio stream (and the audio stream is
> correct).  I'm pretty certain that this is related to the BBC's
> interlacing standard and although I've faffed around with lots of
> different settings I cannot find anything that works.
>
> What I want to do is transcode the original source material to
> 1280x720 x264 and shove it into a mkv container (I use mkkgui to do
> this).
>
> I anyone has a working mencoder line for BBC HD they could post here
> I'd be very grateful as my backend is starting to fill up and I'd
> really like to stick the stuff in the library.

I get the same effect (video half speed, audio full speed) when I
"mplayer" a recording of the Dutch "Nederland 1 HD". I had to provide
"-mc 2" and "-delay 0.5" to get it to play normally with mplayer. Maybe
you can use something like that with mencoder, too. I heard it may be
caused by the interlacing type, MBAFF or PAFF.

To quote an ffmpeg developer: "MBAFF has no effects on A/V sync, PAFF
has. Neither implies the other, they may appear together."

hope this helps,

Gerben

--

Grep IT                      tel: 0252-769005
Egelantier 3                 fax: 0252-769006
2211 NN Noordwijkerhout     g.roest at grepit.nl
The Netherlands