[mythtv-users] OT: System clock running very slow

Ian Newby ian at codex.org.uk
Mon Jan 18 21:03:44 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,
My combined frontend/backend mythtv box (running 0.21 on Ubuntu 8.04)
has been working now for about 3 years with no problems (not caused by me).

However, since Christmas, the system clock has become very inaccurate.
Its now so inaccurate that ntpd cannot keep it up to date.
My current estimate is that it is loosing about 4 hours in a 48 hour
period, which makes recording very difficult. I've sidestepped the
problem by disabling ntpd and running ntpdate very 15 minutes from cron.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the clock to slow so much. I
may have done package updates which could have caused this. Anyone else
having a similar problem?

Regards
Ian