[mythtv-users] mythtv box not powerful enough?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 18 03:58:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First up, no, there's no mythtv support for the crystal hd yet. On the
>> TODO list, its just a long and busy list...
>>
>>> Actually the OP is from Australia (well his email address is), so I
>>> would assume its mpeg2, not h264.
>>>
>>> I think this crystal HD card is going to turn a lot of older laptops
>>> into frontends, provided they have minipci-e (note the 'e'). They'll
>>> have to be wired, or find a usb/pccard wireless option, as most only
>>> have one minipci-e slot.
>>
>> My ThinkPad T61 has two full-sized mini pci-e sockets and one
>> half-sized socket, so its quite happily chugging along with both an
>> 802.11n mini pci-e card and a crystalhd card, with room to spare.
>
> I stand corrected!

Maybe, maybe not. You did say "most only have one", which could still
be true. Just pointing out that I know of at least one fairly common
laptop that does in fact have multiple mini pci-e sockets. :)

Actually, just about any laptop where Intel TurboMemory and/or
built-in mobile broadband was an option is likely to have at least
two. In the future, even a half-sized mini pci-e socket will be
useful...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com