[mythtv-users] Set bookmark on pause

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Jan 17 17:36:24 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Yeah, that's one of the reasons for the patch.  It's part of some "smart
> preview pixmap" changes that will allow me to finally get rid of the
> useless "preview pixmap offset" setting.

Do you have any plans to include a "Don't generate previews" option? I find them
a complete waste of time. Reason: they *never* show anything of relevance.
Either I get one (unreadable) page of the credits for the previous program, or a
random frame of an advert, or something else equally meaningful. I find them a
complete irritation.

I would rather not waste time generating the things in the first place. In
mythweb particularly there can be a delay in displaying the "recorded" page
while these get generated. In the front end not so much, but they're still
pointless.

The space is not so important, but is also a waste. And don't tell me "it's only
xxKiB (or MiB), what's the problem", because I'm using large block allocation
and there is a minimum space reserved for each block on the disk. Perhaps that
problem will get resolved when previews can get allocated their own storage
area, but I'd still rather not do it at all.

Oh, yeah, back on topic. In my household viewing tends to get paused quite a lot
due to various interruptions. I'd rather deliberately set a bookmark if I wanted
to stop viewing now and resume later than have a whole heap of bookmarks and
have to guess which one was relevant.

--

Mike Perkins