[mythtv-users] Couple of hardware questions - HDPVR and lirc_mceusb

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:53:52 UTC 2010

This is the last piece of this mixed BE/FE config for me to work out.
I have an HDPVR as well as a mceusb remote transceiver.  Everything I
have read talked about mceusb2, but I think that code has all been
rolled into just mceusb (there is no mceusb2 in the lirc tarball
anymore).  That's my first question.

Remote support for all mce remotes has supposedly been rolled into
this, but there is no mention if the older v1 types have blasting
support yet.  That's my second question.  If not, that would explain
why I cannot get it to work :)

Threads elsewhere discuss the stability of the HDPVRs blaster
function.  Just wondering if anyone is using it as either a blaster or
receiver with stability?  I do not need a receiver, I have a HDHomeRun
I can use as well as this mce device that receives just fine.  I know
the steps to get it working, just did not want to have to maintain
building modules when a kernel change occurs..  And I did not want to
run fedora - I know it is built into FC12, but barring rebuilding the
live image with the hauppauge firmware included, it does not work
anyhow, and I can load the OS and test it faster than that...

Just looking for a "recommended" way to go with the hardware I have.
Basically, if the mceusb is not going to blast on v1 units, then I
need the HDPVR to do it.  If that is not plausible, I guess I will get
a v2 mce setup...

Thanks for insight.

-Greg