[mythtv-users] low family acceptance factor; need advice

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 20:12:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Aaron <aaron at rb303.net> wrote:

> I just installed "Blue Abstract" and immediately got a "aww, that's so
> much better, it doesn't hurt my eyes" from the Wife :D yay!!!!

Good, WAF is an important factor.

> Now... anyone know how to force 720p or 1080i from the nvidia drivers?
> Should I ask this in it's own thread?
>
> My projector's native resolution is 1024x768, but I know it can do
> 720p/1080i as it does 1280x720 (in windows) and the xbox does 1080i
> via component.

Keep in mind that a lot of devices will accept higher resolutions than
what their native res is, but, if you send them such a higher res,
then the device
will itself have to scale it to it's native resolution.
If you send it a 1280x720 res, it will be the projector downscaling
it, if you instead set your output on your frontend to be 1024x768,
then the frontend itself will be downscaling it unless the original
content is 1024x768 (which basically no content is).

The question becomes, which is better at doing the downscaling?
I only send native resolutions to my displays, to allow them to just
display without having to scale on-the-fly.
So, in my case, if I have 1 1024x768 display, I set the source device
(frontend) to send it 1024x768.
If I have a 1368x768 display, I set that frontend to only send it that res.
This allows mythfrontend/drivers/etc to be responsible for scaling the content.

The simplest way to see which you prefer is to try it both ways.

Frank