[mythtv-users] Set bookmark on pause

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 19:31:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Pause a recorded show and pick up where you left off in another room.
>>>
>>> because with family interruptions, it's never certain that a paused
>>> show will be resumed on the same TV.  If I think ahead, I can set a
>>> bookmark after pausing, but I don't usually think ahead, so I would
>>> like for pause to automatically set a bookmark.
>
> Do you actually just pause the program but leave it running in one
> room, then start watching it in the other room while the first room is
> still paused (ie: you don't exit in the first room?). Admittedly,
> everybody's usage pattern is different so it may not be obvious to me,
> but it would seem to me the reason you switch rooms while paused is
> because somebody else took over the first room while it was paused. In
> that case, they probably exited out. You can set myth to set a
> bookmark automatically on exit, and that would solve the problem (at
> least from the aspect I'm looking at it from).

Yes, in this use case, the program is actually paused on one TV with
the intention of continuing watching there, but it ends up continuing
on a different TV while the first TV is still paused.  Everything
would be fine if we would think to exit out or manually set a bookmark
on the first TV.

> If you really are talking about leaving it paused in the first room,
> even while you are continuing in the second room, how do you then deal
> with going back to the first room? Pause it in the second room, go
> back to the first room, exit and reenter from the new pause bookmark
> (which was modified by the second room)?

As a programmer, I would say "this behavior is undefined." :)
Probably if you manually did a jump-to-bookmark operation on the first
TV, you could resume where the second TV left off.

Jim