[mythtv-users] MythVideo as a Simple File Browser Woes

Tanthrix The Great tanthrix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 08:10:36 UTC 2010

For about 4 years now, I've been using MythVideo as a simple file browser
with all the past major versions. No meta data, no pretty posters, just a
quick way to play smb-mounted videos. Now that I've upgraded to 0.22-fixes,
I've got a few issues that I haven't been able to figure out:

1) When I first enter MythVideo (which I am using in "File Browse Mode" in
list view) it takes a full 7-8 seconds to load the file list for some 3,000
files over a single samba share. In 0.21 trunk this took about 1-1.5 seconds
tops the very first time I opened it, and maybe a half second if I exited
out and went right back in to add a file.  I haven't changed any settings,
and I still have "Video mode loads video meta data" unchecked as always.

2) If I add a new video to my smb share and I quickly exit MythVideo then
re-enter it, it will load instantly, but my new file will no where to be
seen. I have to exit, wait 5 seconds, then re-enter, again waiting a full
7-8 seconds for the now-updated file list to appear. If instead I press M
and choose "Scan for changes" it takes about 6-7 seconds to scan and then
adds the file, unfortunately resetting me back to the top of the file tree.

3) Despite having "Video tree remembers last selected position" checked in
the mythvideo options, it does not remember which folder I was browsing in
last when I exit out and come back in.

As near as I can tell, I have fiddled with all the appropriate MythVideo
settings to no avail. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do about
these issues, if anything? Would upgrading to trunk fix any of these
problems?

Thanks for your time. 0.22-fixes is rocking my world, otherwise!