[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 15 04:00:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:19:44PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> I can appreciate the sentiment.  I don't really agree though.  There's a
> huge difference
> in quality between a switch from best buy and a cisco, or other
> enterprise equipment.
> The older I get, the more I appreciate things not made in china for the
> lowest possible
> cost because I'm starting to realize that a lot of the stuff I want to
> get done in life isn't
> going to get done, and what time I have left, I don't want to spend
> troubleshooting
> network issues.  These are just tools to get things done, not a labor of
> love. Anyways, that's my viewpoint.

I totally agree with the blech! China sentiment (for more
reasons than just quality) but realize that these boards all use
the same off-the-shelf Broadcom chip. Ok, I'm speculating on
the vendor but the idea is that these bridging chips can run
without CPU assistance nowadays. Spoken like a true software
guy, if it can run without software, its intrinsically more
reliable. ;-) Oh, and that Cisco switch was manufactured in
China too. :-(