[mythtv-users] Recommendations for VDPAU board suitable for 1080i (Advanced 2x)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 15 03:41:33 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 10:47 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> I posted on the VDPAU wiki page, an image of a table provided by Zotac of
>> specifications for the video cards it makes using NVidia chipsets, basically
>> from the 9500GT up. There is effectively a 'dip' in the capabilities. At the
>> moment a 9800GT series board would be the sweet spot of capabilities versus
>> price as it beats the GT210, GT220 and possibly even the GT240 on memory
>> bandwidth and shaders, the bits which the interlacing methods interact with.
>
> I don't think that should be on the wiki. It isn't helpful and seems
> out of place. A simple link to the relevant Wikipedia articles would
> suffice. This isn't 3D gaming where more is always better. The other
> charts give the information that is needed for determining which chip
> to get. You only need to know what deinterlacer it can handle. The
> 9800 is not the sweet spot. That is a heavy duty 3D gaming card, that
> will suck down a lot of power and have a big fan. It will pull down
> 150-250 watts all by itself. That is more power than most entire
> mythtv systems pull down.For MythTV you want the minimum that will get
> the job done. That is why 9500/9600 or GT220 are the ideal. They do
> everything you need. Anything more is wasting power, money, etc.

And you should have read that I noted that power requirements are not
available.
The question was 'what is the difference between a 240 and 220'. The
table explains that. The user-entered data shows that a 9500GT will do
HD without problems. In fact anything over that may well be
overkill...but the 9500GT is now "obsolete" and probably not available
(just like power supplies under 400 watts!).
Geoff