[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun(s)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jan 14 21:18:37 UTC 2010

On 1/14/2010 2:59 PM, Johnny wrote:

> True, if there is no actual difference as is the case with your
> examples. But in this case the term is used to make a distinction
> between 800 MHz and 1000 MHz splitters, which are different and the
> latter is needed for newer digital cable and internet services. Sure
> the numbers are clear and simple to me, but I remember someone else
> really making effort to get their head around this, and they asked, "I
> know I need 1000 MHz, but this thing only says it splits it to 3 dB, I
> can't figure out how many MHz get split to each side." My point is I
> don't think there are tons of MBA guys working the marketing campaign
> on 3rd party splitters available at Home Depot. Sometimes it is just a
> matter of making things as simple as possible for the average
> consumer, regardless of whether it is technically accurate.

I have some splitters that are 1GHz capable with no hint of "digital readiness".

Digital cable was out during the time these splitters were available.

So the "digital-ness" of these new splitters is completely irrelevant.

I see what you're saying -- but it's still technically irrelevant.

We all agree with you on the marketing concept - and believe me, I bet they have some MBA's working on it.

It's not just a benefit to the consumer but also to those installer guys who couldn't tell you how many MHz get split to each side either.

  -Ben