[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun(s)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 20:59:25 UTC 2010

> I figure it's all marketing silliness.  Like "digital-ready" speakers back
> in the '80s, and "Y2K Compliant" ethernet cables in the late '90s.  You
> gotta convince people they need new stuff somehow.

True, if there is no actual difference as is the case with your
examples. But in this case the term is used to make a distinction
between 800 MHz and 1000 MHz splitters, which are different and the
latter is needed for newer digital cable and internet services. Sure
the numbers are clear and simple to me, but I remember someone else
really making effort to get their head around this, and they asked, "I
know I need 1000 MHz, but this thing only says it splits it to 3 dB, I
can't figure out how many MHz get split to each side." My point is I
don't think there are tons of MBA guys working the marketing campaign
on 3rd party splitters available at Home Depot. Sometimes it is just a
matter of making things as simple as possible for the average
consumer, regardless of whether it is technically accurate.