[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun(s)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 14 18:39:34 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 11:30:09 am Johnny Walker wrote:

> If I have a 5 way splitter which marks each output as -7db does it do
> any good to put a terminator on a single unused output?

You should always terminate any unused outputs, failing to do so will cause
the device to not be flat across the band, so the actual loss will vary by
channel. It will also cause return loss type problems.

Hybrid splitters depend on proper termination to work correctly. Directional
couplers are more tolerant of mismatches on the outputs, one reason they have
more loss, and cost more.

This is why cable companies use directional couplers to to feed subscribers,
if a customer has an open or a short on their drop they don't want it to effect
other subscribers. There is in fact an FCC spec for isolation in cases like
this, which hybrid splitters can't meet.