[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 17:33:58 UTC 2010

On 1/14/2010 8:59 AM, Kevin Bailey<ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:04:14PM -0500, Mark wrote:
>> >  Question for the more advanced gurus out there:
>> >
>> >  I am putting finishing touches on a new high performance myth backend
>> >  only server.
>> >  It's a supermicro board with two gigabit nics.  I have been thinking of
>> >  putting the second nic
>> >  on a separate subnet to isolate the myth traffic and keep the rest of
>> >  the network unclogged.
> Doing this will have not affect keeping the myth traffic
> off the rest of the network because your switch is already
> doing that. The Cisco switch is not a hub. It is making
> sure that traffic between the front and back end are
> only seen on those two respective ports.
>
> The only advantages that adding a second NIC would provide
> are:
>
>   - double the bandwidth of the server, although I doubt
> that's a problem, even with 100mpbs
>   - be able to put an HD homerun on a separate network
> perhaps to be able to put it on its own DHCP server
> because, for example, your DSL router won't give it a
> static address or something
>   - ... ?
>
> To second something someone else said, I just bought a
> 5 port gigabit switch from Best Buy for something like
> $40. One of the ports even auto-senses if its connected
> to another switch. I'm probably saying more than I should
> but I trust simple switches more than managed switches.

I built my first MythTV system 1 year ago (combined FE/BE) and did
the same thing.  The MB has 2 GB ethernet interfaces, both of which
are statically configured.  The first interface connects to my in home
network/router/DSL.  The second is connected to a GB switch with 2 HD
Home Runs attached (I may add a third).  The BE runs a DHCP server on
the second interface to provide IP addresses for the HD Home Runs.  This
works great.  When I designed this FE/BE, I was concerned about running
out of network bandwidth recording 4 (future 6) HD programs at once, so
opted for a dedicated private network for the HD Home Runs (my in home
network is 10/100 only).

The only down side is the HD Home Runs are not accessible from any other
machine in my home (none of my other machines are powerful enough to use
them anyway).

Jay