[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 14 16:00:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:04:14PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> Question for the more advanced gurus out there:
>
> I am putting finishing touches on a new high performance myth backend
> only server.
> It's a supermicro board with two gigabit nics.  I have been thinking of
> putting the second nic
> on a separate subnet to isolate the myth traffic and keep the rest of
> the network unclogged.

Doing this will have not affect keeping the myth traffic
off the rest of the network because your switch is already
doing that. The Cisco switch is not a hub. It is making
sure that traffic between the front and back end are
only seen on those two respective ports.

The only advantages that adding a second NIC would provide
are:

 - double the bandwidth of the server, although I doubt
that's a problem, even with 100mpbs
 - be able to put an HD homerun on a separate network
perhaps to be able to put it on its own DHCP server
because, for example, your DSL router won't give it a
static address or something
 - ... ?

To second something someone else said, I just bought a
5 port gigabit switch from Best Buy for something like
$40. One of the ports even auto-senses if its connected
to another switch. I'm probably saying more than I should
but I trust simple switches more than managed switches.