[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 14 00:13:24 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 06:56 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote at about 18:34:15 -0500 on Wednesday, January 13, 2010:
>  > On 01/13/2010 06:16 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Now internally, the restore won't be perfect since the profilegroupids
>  > > and profileid's will be increased but that shouldn't affect the user.
>  >
>  > All of that's fine.  I have no problems with the functionality.
>  >
>  > My /ONLY/ complaint is that it's a bash hack that's a 3rd-party (not
>  > part of MythTV, therefore, not maintained when MythTV is changed) script.
>
> True -- I started this as a simple question and hack with hopefully a
> simple answer and it has mushroomed...
>
>  > As I mentioned at the start of the script, I would prefer to see you
>  > spend all of this time you're--pardon the bluntness, but--wasting on
>  > this script on the /actual/ solution that will go into MythTV:
>  >
>  > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6064
>
> OK - but I only saw this mentioned in post 19 of the thread, 3 days
> after I posed the question and long after I had already started down
> the other path.
>
> Also 'wasted' is not only blunt (which is ok) but a matter of
> perspective -- personally, I have *learned* a lot both about mythtv
> and about sql so I don't regret the time spent even if the patch were
> released into 'fixes' tomorrow. And long term such knowledge will make
> me not only a better user but a better contributor...

OK.  Perhaps I should have said, "Now that you've gotten some practice,
feel free to contribute any missing parts to the patches on #6064."  :)

> Also, to be blunt in return, it is unclear to me when the patch will
> be introduced into 'fixes' and it seems that while introduced 13
> months ago, noting has been added in 3 months now and it is not
> obvious when (if ever? lol) it will make it to stable release. So in
> the meantime, my script may be useful to some which is why I have
> posted it to the list.
>
> Finally, if you want my help, please let me know what needs to be
> done. Though my ability to help test may be limited since I don't
> have a setup to compile my own binaries (I use atrpms fixes branch
> primarily).
>
>  > and, when it goes in, it will completely obsolete this script.
>
> That's great and of course a better long term approach for everybody!

Right now, we're waiting on conversion of the UI portions of the patch
to mythui.  We aren't adding any new UI code that does not use the new
UI libs, now.

You may have added functionality to your script that doesn't exist in
the patch.  If so, that functionality should be added to the patch,
too.  So, if you're not a UI guy, you could always look at the DB code
in there and update it if it's missing anything.

And, if you're just feeling like helping out, you could always make the
code in the patch more compliant with the coding guidelines
(specifically in the programs.patch and mythdb.patch portions).  The
main part that will need fixing is changing the SQL to capitalize the
SQL keywords--primarily in mythdb.patch, it seems.  However, if the UI
portion were fixed, I could do the style changes and get the patch into
trunk very quickly--and before 0.23 is released.

Mike