[mythtv-users] Support for WMM extensions/ QoS

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 13 17:02:14 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 09:56:26 am Greg Oliver wrote:
> I could not find anything in the wiki or google.
>
> When Myth is streaming to a frontend, is it actually streaming in a
> video stream format so wireless routers can prioritize the traffic?  I
> am thinking of throwing a minipci card in these frontends, but unless
> the router will honor the WMM extension on the streams, I'll just drop
> some cable for them.

It's always best to stay away from wireless for video if you possibly can.

If you can run cables you should do so.

Good routers allow you to set up QoS yourself, based on many things, like the
source, the physical port, the IP port and several other factors, but no
matter how much priority your router gives to video traffic, WiFi generally
simply does not have the bandwidth available, no matter what algorithm it uses
to allocate it. QoS can not create bandwidth where it doesn't exist.