[mythtv-users] Stuttering after frontend has been running a while

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Wed Jan 13 04:31:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
> About 100MB of swap is in use, but over 750MB of memory is available
> (per the "+/- buffers/cache" line in the output of "free".)
> mythfrontend is definitely the biggest process, using close to 700MB
> resident. This is from memory - when I see the problem again I'll
> capture the data more precisely. The system has a total of 2G of RAM
> and the video card has its own memory so it doesn't eat up any of the
> system RAM.
>
> You may definitely have something there, since when mythfrontend is
> just started it only uses about 240MB resident. Maybe it's the theme?
> I'm using the Mythbuntu theme that includes cover art/fan art.

Looks like memory is the problem - this time in my log I got the
following message:

2010-01-12 20:22:34.547 TV: StartPlayer(0, Watching
WatchingPreRecorded, main) -- end ok
2010-01-12 20:22:34.548 TV: Changing from None to Watching WatchingPreRecorded
2010-01-12 20:22:34.548 New DB connection, total: 3
2010-01-12 20:22:34.549 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2010-01-12 20:22:34.551 Using realtime priority.
2010-01-12 20:22:34.570 Video timing method: USleep with busy wait
2010-01-12 20:22:34.570 [h264_vdpau @ 0x7f00c1f5d8a0]number of
reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one
2010-01-12 20:22:34.570 [h264_vdpau @ 0x7f00c1f5d8a0]number of
reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one
2010-01-12 20:22:34.570 [h264_vdpau @ 0x7f00c1f5d8a0]number of
reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one
2010-01-12 20:22:34.570 [h264_vdpau @ 0x7f00c1f5d8a0]number of
reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one
2010-01-12 20:22:34.602 [h264_vdpau @ 0x7f00c1f5d8a0]mmco: unref short failure
2010-01-12 20:22:34.685 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:1013
(#23, The system does not have enough resources to complete the
requested operation at this time.)
2010-01-12 20:22:34.686 VDPAU: WARNING - please read the following carefully:-

* The VDPAU device has reported that you have run out of video memory.   *
* MythTV requires at least 512Mb of video memory for full functionality. *
* If you are using an integrated GPU, please ensure you have allocated   *
* the maximum amount of shared memory in the BIOS settings.              *
* Systems with only 256Mb of video memory are not supported.             *

* If this message continues to appear and you have at least 512Mb of     *
* video memory:-                                                         *
*  - reduce the number of VDPAU video buffers by adding                  *
*    'vdpaubuffersize=X' to your Playback Profile custom filter entry,   *
*    where X is a value between 6 (minimum) and 17 (default). Playback   *
*    of certain H.264 streams will fail with a reduced buffer size.      *
*  - disable any VDPAU options (e.g. deinterlacing, sharpen and denoise) *
*  - ensure the composite extension is disabled in your xorg.conf        *
*  - disable the use of OpenGL Vsync (Setup->TV Settings->Playback)      *
*  - use the Qt Paint Engine (Setup->Appearance)                         *
*  - switch to a 'lightweight' theme such as MythCenter                  *
*  - run MythTV at a lower screen resolution                             *

So memory is definitely the problem. I've switched to the Metallurgy
theme to see if it avoids the memory growth.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,