[mythtv-users] "Generational" TV, was: OT: 3D TV

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 03:59:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Shawn Rutledge
<shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>wrote:

> It's just funny that suddenly out of nowhere the industry decided to
> "just do" 3D movies and TV, after it had already been possible for so
> long.

It's hardly out of nowhere, it's just that Avatar has made it into this big
thing so it seems sudden. I think Avatar has introduced it to the large
segment of the public that don't see a lot of movies and so didn't know 3D
was back in vogue. But it's been coming for almost a decade, driven by the
studio's concern with DVDs eroding box office receipts and enabled by the
vastly improved CGI quality that (largely) came out of the Lord of the Rings
trilogy.

Cheers,
Steve