[mythtv-users] "Generational" TV, was: OT: 3D TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 13 02:26:33 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 07:12:13 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > I'll grant that there is *some* good stuff today, but you have to wade
> > through so much garbage to find it that it's not worth the effort.
>
> You're forgetting the 50 year old garbage that isn't being
> re-broadcast any more.  It's Sturgeon's Law.  90% of everything is
> crud.

Do you mean Theodore Sturgeon? I seem to recall seeing that on in an old
"Astounding".

If anything it's overly optimistic.

50's television is what it is because the medium was brand new, and that can
be a great boon to creativity. The Honeymooners was originally live, and live
TV is vastly different from film/tape, warts and all. Even the early film and
(later) tape stuff is different from today, they were still learning what the
medium could do.

That requires experimentation, and that's what we are seeing with 3D today.
Unfortunately the cost of making a 3D film is high enough that most of the
creativity gets washed out by the financial requirements.

3D  in the home is bound to come, in some way and at some time, and some sort
of holographic projection is the probable end result, requiring viewers to
wear hardware is a short phase, similar to the dialog cards in the silent
films.

It's natural for the folks here to be interested in anything that appears to
be a stepping stone on the way to 3DTV, and to debate the various offerings.