[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:52:07 UTC 2010

> I'm interested in the delete hostname function since I happen to have a few
>> leftover invalid entries in my DB from changing my hostname without doing it
>> the "mythtv way".
>>

> Let me just mention that if the old settings associated with old hostnames
> were actually a problem, MythTV would include a mechanism for getting rid of
> them.  As it is, keeping them in place wastes about 8kiB of storage space on
> your hard drive--maybe 16kiB at most, depending on a few factors.
>
> That's not megabytes or gigabytes...  We're talking less than 16384 bytes.
>  And, in truth--because of the way file systems work--that's probably space
> that was already wasted (as empty, but allocated, space) due to the file
> system's block size.

point taken.  I guess my only remaining reason for getting rid of the old
ones is that:
- I'd like to re-use those hostnames without inheriting the bungled settings
currently in there.
- it will look cleaner in mythweb's drop down box.

Is there a way to return a hostname entry to defaults?  If so I could
probably live with the clutter in mythweb's hostname selection box.  :)

Matt