[mythtv-users] Access denied for user `mythtv`@`mymachine` (using password: YES)

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Tue Jan 12 06:10:02 UTC 2010

For several years I had the frontend/backend on the same machine and
had set:
   mythtv-setup: [General]
		Local Backend IP address: 127.0.0.1
		Master Backend IP address: 127.0.0.1
   mythfrontend: [Utilities/Setup][Setup][General]
   		Host name: localhost
		Database name: mythconverg
		User: mythtv
		Password: mypasswd

Now I added a 2nd frontend so I changed to:
   mythtv-setup: [General]
		Local Backend IP address: <IP address of mymachine>
		Master Backend IP address: <IP address of mymachine>
   mythfrontend: [Utilities/Setup][Setup][General]
   		Host name: mymachine
		Database name: mythconverg
		User: mythtv
		Password: mypasswd

   I also opened up my firewall to let through ports 6543 and 3306 for
   mythtv and mysql respectively

But running the frontend either from the local machine or from a
remote frontend now gives me the following error:
	   QMYSQL: Unable to connect
	   Database error was:
	   Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'mymachine' (using password: YES)

- Do I need to create a new mysql user: 'mythtv'@'mymachine'?
- Or is this a general mysql config issue to accept connections from
  non-localhost?
- Or is there something else that needs to be opened on my firewall?
- Or is there other mythtv configuration that I need to change?

Thanks