[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems with ubuntu 9.10/myth 0.22-fixes

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:48:28 UTC 2010

> Has anyone tried running windows in a VM and playing back DVDs?  Would that
>> work?
>>
>>  Why not simply shell out to one of the better players out there. There is
> easy support for xine, mplayer, vlc and probably more. The myth player is
> pretty well trashed in 0.22 and so far its not much better in trunk (0.23)
> so use the custom  command line to launch another player on your trouble
> disks or on all disks. I almost wish there was a way to toggle players from
> the remote at times. Its not ideal but the devs have been focusing on the
> core functions right now so this has suffered a bit. Its on my xmas wish
> list.

I was assuming that the problem was linux/CSS vs windows (which seems to
work) as opposed to being a problem in the myth dvd playback...  I haven't
tried using any other players.
You are right mplayer etc would be much more straightforward than VM.  I've
had some trouble with lirc + mplayer in the past.  I don't have a keyboard
attached so lirc is critical to me but I'll give it another try.

thanks
Matt