[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Brandon Penglase da5id2001 at SpaceServices.net
Mon Jan 11 23:33:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:10:37 -0500
greg pryzby <greg at pryzby.org> wrote:

> Oh, and you don't need i7, an old machine works just fine for VMware.
> You will like the new CPU performance for KVM though

While true for virtualization of OSs, this ISN'T true for
PCI-Passthrough (which I believe became the topic). I believe Q45
Chipsets and above (or those labeled vPro) have VT-d support. There is
a thread here
(http://communities.intel.com/thread/2181;jsessionid=04DBF3A8B6BA9401EB2BEB4E4D43CE96)
on Intel's site about which boards/chipsets support it. This seems to
start with later C2D/C2Q chipsets, and now the i series chipsets.

On the AMD Front, it's AMD-Vi (formally AMD-IOMMU). With a quick web
search I'm unable to locate which chipsets start to support the -vi.

So it seems as long as you have a chipset that supports
PCI-Passthrough, you should be good to do passing anymost anything on
the PCI bus through.

	Brandon