[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

greg pryzby greg at pryzby.org
Mon Jan 11 22:19:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> 2010/1/11 Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe at ingolfs.dk>:
> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Martin Ravell
> > <martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au> wrote:
> >> What do you think? Is VMWare with MythBackend on a (probably Fedora or
> >> CentOS) virtual machine a viable option? I may add some more front-ends
> as
> >> well but at this stage it will be one of each.
> >
> > Performance wise it should be fine, but I don't think you can use your
> > TV card in the VM?
> >
> > AFAIK, Xen is the only virtualization technology that allows pci pass
> > through. I've been using this successfully with both a PVR 250 and now
> > a Nova-T 500
>
> Since it's a Core i7 CPU, there's a good possibility that you'll have
> a VT-d capable chipset, which will allow hardware-supported
> passthrough of PCI and PCI-express devices in KVM [1] or Xen [2] (or
> Vmware if you really want to use such things ;)).

KVM works as does VMware.

The issue you need to consider is what are the tuners. KVM only supports USB
1.x which could (pretty sure it is iirc) be an issue for HD-PVR (1212) for
HD.

> I've just upgraded my motherboard in order to try this out with KVM,
> MythTV and my three tuners. I hope I can get it working, so I can run
> some clean enterprise Linux on the bare metal (eg. CentOS) for
> stability, and then use a more bleeding edge Linux distribution for
> MythTV (eg. MythBuntu or Arch Linux) - I'm tired of debugging my
> headless backend by RS232 every time it doesn't boot after a full
> system update.

There are advantages and it works.

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

WEB:  http://www.RestonArtisTree.com/
TWTR: gpryzby
Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>
- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never
wrong."