[mythtv-users] frontend hardware - any reason not to use ion?

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:04:48 UTC 2010

All,

Up until now I was able to use a combination frontend/backend because
I was able to keep my server in the basement and run audio & video
cables to my receiver.  Very soon I won't be able to do that though,
and I'm in the process of evaluating frontend hardware.  I need HD
capabilities, and from what I gather, VDPAU has made a small silent HD
capable frontend relatively cheap.  The question I have is whether
there are any downsides to the ion platform.  Is the atom fast enough
to do all of the newer MythUI features?  I saw somewhere that it can't
support some of the deinterlaces (advanced 2x or something like
that?).  Is that a big deal?  Are there further advancements coming
down that would make the ion obselete, and I'd be better off getting a
microATX board with a newer nvidia graphics card?

This would seem like the ideal frontend assuming the ion is a good choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173001&cm_re=zotac_ion-_-56-173-001-_-Product

Appreciate any insight.

thanks,
matt