[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX-B-E Network Issues

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Jan 10 17:41:35 UTC 2010

Greg Grotsky wrote:
> Just purchased one of these bad boys from newegg and I'm getting lots
> of prebuffering pauses while watching videos streamed from the
> backend.  I noticed that the pauses only occur during network
> streaming activity, if I rewind the video and play it (from cache)
> it's perfect.  Then I noticed that ifconfig was reporting significant
> amounts of errors (22389!):
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:2e:26:4f:97
>           inet addr:192.168.0.100  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::201:2eff:fe26:4f97/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:1445943 errors:22389 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:22389
>           TX packets:970314 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:1918270735 (1.7 GiB)  TX bytes:81217659 (77.4 MiB)
>           Interrupt:21 Base address:0x2000
>
> The error number skyrockets as I watch a video (especially while it is
> giving me prebuffering pauses).  I have a usb-to-ethernet device and
> using the same cat5e cable on this usb ethernet port results in
> smooth, error-less transmissions.  It's looking like this is a problem
> with my specific motherboard.  Has anyone else with one of these Zotac
> IONITX deals seen anything like this?  I'd hate to return it only to
> have the same issue, I'd like to find out that it's something in my
> configuration.
I'm a bit late on this discussion, but the only time I had something
like this happen was when the network hardware and the video hardware
and a few others were sharing the same interrupt.  One at a time things
would work, put them together and it would fail.

There were some magic kernel options at boot time that made the problem
better, but eventually I got rid of the hardware.

So it could be a bios or kernel setting as well.

--

   o__