[mythtv-users] Building Remote Frontend - Components

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 06:23:22 UTC 2010

On 01/09/2010 02:23 PM, Alan Marchiori wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com
> <mailto:jongitech at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am thinking of the components below for a FE in the bedroom:
>     <snip>
>

> way overkill for a dedicated FE if you ask me.  I think people are
> liking the Zotax ION and Acer Revo at the moment...  I haven't used
> either but I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500036&cm_re=zotac_ion-_-13-500-036-_-Product
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500036&cm_re=zotac_ion-_-13-500-036-_-Product>
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

I bought an Acer R1600 this afternoon.  I'm now getting my USB tuners
and remotes working under Windows XP ("nettop" version) before I prepare
for my Mythbuntu install.

I considered over 20 FE alternatives across several categories (streamer
boxes, PC+Mythbuntu, BD players with UPnP, game consoles).  When I saw
the Acer R1600 at Fry's for $200 (+ $50 for USB DVD), I immediately
stopped considering building my own HTPC.  Basically, I was tired of
hunting and wanted to start doing!

I'm going to start with a full FE + BE on the R1600.  If the processor
can't handle it (fan on all the time), I'll move the tuners to a slave
BE on my dual-Xeon workstation (which kinda sorta almost works as a BE
under F12).

-BobC