[mythtv-users] video stutter with VDPAU and 1080i DVB

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Sat Jan 9 22:16:45 UTC 2010

> On 01/09/2010 11:11 AM, Justin Smith wrote:
>> > I get a slight but annoying stutter in video playback of live TV on my
>> > mythTV box and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to
>> > troubleshoot this. It only occurs for one 1080i HD DVB channel - other
>> > HD channels are fine (FWIW: Ch9 HD in Australia).
>> >
>> > The stuttering is confirmed in the frontend log (-v playback) with
>> > lines like this:
>> >
>> > NVP(6): Video is 3.19567 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping
>> > frame to catch up.
>> >
>> > When I set the audio output device to NULL, the stuttering (and log
>> > lines) disappear. But as I'm not too good at lip reading...  :)
>> >

> I'd start with:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:Prebuffering_pause .  Also,
> make sure you're not using PulseAudio.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did say in my original email that I'd
already gone through this prebuffering page on the wiki without
success... :)

How can I tell if PulseAudio is enabled? Running ps -ef | grep audio
suggests its not running. I'm using a vanilla MythBuntu Karmic AMD 64
distribution - surely they would be disabling it if MythTV does not work
with it?

Cheers,
Justin.