[mythtv-users] Silicondust Makes CableCard Announcement

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 8 19:27:26 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 12:22:58 pm John Drescher wrote:
> > If the channel is flagged with copy protection it will definitely require
> > CableLabs-approved software (which currently means WMC 7) to receive. We
> > are working with CableLabs to determine the usability of copy-freely
> > channels in alternative programs.
>
> In that 80+ post topic on this I am not sure if anyone posted a
> confirmation about this fear that many of us expected so this part is
> somewhat news to me..

It's certainly not unexpected, Microsoft wants to own the DRM market (and they
essentially do), and they certainly do nothing to change the content-
provider's view of Linux users as "a bunch of pirates".

I'm surprised Apple doesn't fight the "Windows only" approach to CableCard, but
they haven't shown much interest that I can see.