[mythtv-users] ATrpms for Myth but RPMFusion for nvidia

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 8 16:32:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:49 AM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
> George, I went through the install, had the black-screen problem mentioned
> earlier, edited the kernel line in Grub to blacklist nouveau, and in the end
> the nvidia drivers still did no load.

Hm. I'd try rebuilding your initrd w/nouveau blacklisted, see if that
makes a difference. Never tried the kernel param route myself.

> The wiki page says to yum install
> nvidia-graphics, whereas the guide that I found
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html said to yum install
> kmod-nvidia (maybe that’s a difference in what the package is called on
> ATrpms vs. RPM Fusion?).

Yes, nvidia-graphics is the ATrpms name for the binary nvidia driver
bits, kmod-nvidia is the RPM Fusion version.

> It also added that one needs to run
> livna-config-display “to utilize the automatic switching between drivers for
> the X-server.”

What that will do, is if the binary kernel driver doesn't load on boot
for some reason, the system will fall back to using nouveau, so you
still get X up and running, and from there, likely have a better
chance of fixing whatever was broken with the binary driver.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com