[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watchingsame thinginmultiplerooms

Donald J. Organ IV dorgan at donaldorgan.com
Thu Jan 7 22:39:18 UTC 2010

>> Or are you saying that we should create a stream on disk, then each
>> front-end reads the stream from the backend? The issue with this is that in
>> most cases, this is a waste of bandwidth/IO on the backend.

Yes I am saying to create the stream on the backend or a "host" computer.

The stream clients could keep track of where in the stream the clients are (all could keep track and should have the same time code) and when the host goes away for some strange reason the clients could be a "host" and using the time codes, come up with a starting point.  if all clients for some strange reason have a different time code the lowest time code should be used and the streaming can begin from that time code.

I understand that it may be a waste of bandwidth/IO on the backend, but since there are some network hardware limitations using the other method this way might be the best way to achieve that.

And I could totally be wrong and everyone will make fun of my and I will cry myself to sleep tonight :P