[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 7 16:23:06 UTC 2010

> The HDHR box authticates to the cable card that it contains.  The
> Windows box then authenticates to the HDHR to receive a recording
> (encrypted).

But that's the same basic idea, even if there is another device in the
chain. The question is how it gets decrypted. I'm assuming the
decryption key is passed from the cable card to the PC only through an
authenticated chain, but as I just explained, it wouldn't be difficult
to extract the key and pretend to be the windows system (ie: rather
than a man-in-the-middle attack, you are simply killing Alice and
sending in your look-alike replacement.

--
Ron