[mythtv-users] output audio to hdmi and spdif at the same time

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 7 15:43:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Greg Zornetzer
<gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Greg Zornetzer <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking on and off for the same thing and have come up empty.
>> It seems like there should be some magic parameters in alsa.conf that should
>> allow this to happen...  Any ideas from alsa gurus?
>> -Greg
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just got a new frontend for myself.
>>> zotac mag hd-nd01 :)
>>>
>>> Anyway.  Can someone point me in the right direction to enable digital
>>> audio out of mythtv to hdmi and spdif at the same time?
>>> Been looking for a good how to but having no luck.
>>> Ubuntu .22 with fixes.  Karmic.
>>> Thanks
>>>

> Sorry for the top-post before and the double post, but I just found this on
> the alsawiki.  Maybe it could be modified to work with either the audio
> channels or ac3 compressed audio.
>  http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TwoCardsAsOne

With my own Zotac ION system, I see two entries in alsamixer, spdif
and spdif1. The spdif output I have enabled, sending audio over the
digital audio output. I *believe* spdif1 is hdmi audio. I don't have
hdmi in on my receiver though, so I don't use it, but I don't see why
simply enabling both of those in alsamixer wouldn't be the ticket...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com