[mythtv-users] Can I have my remote frontend database running as a separately named mysql database on the backend?

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Thu Jan 7 07:00:03 UTC 2010

I am playing with the windows version of mythtv and the wikki seems to
recommend that remote frontends use their own sql databases to avoid
the possibility of corrupting your backend sql database.

First question is whether that truly is an issue??? (I guess the
concern is in part over different database schemes which could be out
of synch between windows & linux)

Second, assuming that it is recommended to have a separate database, I
would rather not install the mysql program on all my windows machines.

So I was wondering whether I could use separately named versions of
the mythconverg database for each remote frontend but have them all
run on the backend, by using the following approach.

1. Setup a new myth database on my backend called say,
   mythconverg_windows

   	  mysql -u root -p mythtv mythconverg-windows < \
	  $( sed -e "s/mythconverg/mythconverg_windows/g" mc.sql)

   where mc.sql is the usual mythconverg initialized database and the
   sed statement changes mythconverg -> mythconverg_windows

2. Edit mysql.txt as follows:
	   		-DBName=mythconverg
	   		+DBName=mythconverg_windows

3. Use ssh port forwarding "-L 3306:localhost:3306" so that I don't
   have to bother to open ports on my firewall or to grant local network
   permission to the mythconverg database

   (Alternatively, I could open up the firewall, edit the DBHostName in
   mysql.txt and grant local network access permissions to my newly
   created mythconverg_windows database)

3. Run mythrontend...

It seems to work, but before I adopt this approach permanently, I want
to make sure that it actually makes sense to do that and that it will
function equivalently to having a separate mythconverg database on the
remote frontend. In particular, I want to make sure that this doesn't
create any dangers of corrupting my main backend server database.

And of course I want to confirm that having a separate database for
the remote frontend is even necessary...

Thanks