[mythtv-users] VDPAU on older pre-G98 8400 GS

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:09:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

>> Output resolution may also be a factor.
>
> I'm running at 1920x1080.  Too high?
>
>> As far as the PCIe X4 slot, that would still be ok as long as an x16
>> card can physically be inserted in it,
>
> Yes, it's an x16 form factor slot, but not all of the lanes are
> enabled.  The card has been working for over a year, but it's only
> recently that I've upgraded to .22 and tried to turn on vdpau.

If 1920x1080 is what you want, and/or need, then I doubt that a G86
core is going to do it all that well.
You can choose a different resolution for the SD content by selecting
separate GUI and playback resolutions, so say for example you want
1920x1080 for your menus, but when playing back SD content, you have
Myth change the playback resolution to something less, and then let
the display upscale it (if it won't accept the lower resolution).

An easy way to see if there is any benefit in doing that is to simply
go into the Nvidia-settings GUI on your machine, and set it to
something lower (like 800x600 or 1024x768) and then launch
mythfrontend and see if it will playback that SD MPEG2 content more
smoothly.  Not sure how much that will even help, as that card will
still only do partial MPEG2 decode via VDPAU.   But, it is supposed to
do H264 at full decode via VDPAU, so you might want to grab an H264
recording (or do a transcode on one of your own) and see how an H264
recording plays back at 1920x1080

I think the real answer in the end is to just upgrade the card to
something more suitable to doing VDPAU at that resolution, like a 9500
GT.

Frank