[mythtv-users] Bob's Huge List of Questions [Was: 0.22 annoyances]

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Jan 4 20:30:43 UTC 2010

On 3 Jan 2010 at 14:32, Bob Cunningham wrote:

> The boxy Shuttle form-factor seems a bit odd for a media center: I'd
> prefer something that will stack nicely with my other system components.

Agreed, but in my system the frontend computer is on a different rack, so it's
less important. The biggest problem I found with trying to stack the computer
along with the other components is that the computer always ends up being
MUCH deeper than anything else, and they don't really fit into HIFI racks
because of the front-to-back depth.

> After a bit more research, it seems rear case fans are OK, so long as
> they are 70mm or larger.  My HTPC will be on an open shelf, not in a
> closed cabinet.  I've seen several recommendations for the inexpensive
> nMedia cases.  I also don't need a graphical LCD display in the case,
> though a 2-line VFD/LCD display would be useful.  This case seems ideal
> for under US$100 (+ $25 for the LCD): http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc2000.htm

I have 4 various flavors of front-end machines here, all with either VFD or
LCD displays in them. The displays were cool... for about a day. I saw no
need for them, and in fact found them to be nothing but a distraction. My wife
and daughter agreed. I have since disabled all the displays years ago.

Marvin